Saturday, July 19, 2008

In my absence

Although I was curious about the howling horde, I had already waited too long to return Hammerfast. Ten years, to this date, had passed since Morel had fallen in battle, and I needed to inform his clan of his fate.

I informed my current companions that I would leaving for Hammerfast the next day and that I would return within a fortnight. They did not ask why I was leaving or what business I had in Hammerfast. All the better. While I trust my friends greatly, I am not sure that they are not ready to know that fate of my former party. Surely that knowledge would cause their loyalty to me to wane.

Upon my return my companions had a very interesting tale. The Howling Horde was a tribe of goblins and hobgoblins lead by a dragon, a white, named Noak. They had enlisted they help of a gruff dwarf arcanist named Dorlok and a charming halfling scout named Roe. With there help, they were able to neutralized the hobgoblin commanders and slay the dragon.

To my surprise, they did not slay the remaining goblins. Instead the Dorlok and Roe volunteered to act as emissary for the goblins and the surrounding towns. Their reasons for trusting the goblins eludes me. Although their decision does not sit well with me, for I know the goblins blood thirst has only been sated, I will not go against their decision.

The short lived races are far too quick to trust and to forget the wrongings of the past. Will they be just as quick to forget my past wrong doings?

No comments: